Saturday, February 11, 2012

A big girl buying running shoes

Being a big girl buying big girl shoes in a small person country can suck.

I bought a pair of Brooks adrenaline's last March when we were back in GA. I'm not a huge runner by any means, but I'm sure that part of my hip/IT band issues are from having shoes that need to be replaced. 

I tried the local Tri store in Causeway bay.  They really weren't helpful at all.  I expected them to be able to tell me what are cushion shoes, support shoes and neutral shoes.  They guy helping me really couldn't and then argued with me about the shoes.  No sale.

I then went over to the mall and tried the Adidas store and it went something like this:
Me: Do you have this shoe in an 11? 
Women's?
Me: Yes.
UK?
Me: No.
Oh .... let me check. Sorry ... biggest size 8. 
Me: Really?
Yes

I try New Balance.  They didn't look like they had an idea either when I asked a question.

Giga Sports:
Me:Does Mizuno have a shoe like this. (I pointed to the arch support part of my Brooks). 
Um, you can try this.  What size?
Me:(Here we go again) 11. 
UK
Me:No
Oh, sorry biggest we have is a 8.5  Hong Kong doesn't get big sizes. 
Me: Really?  (not really surprised)
How about Mens
Me:Yeah ... how about a 9? 
9? 
Me:Yes ... really

They actually had some sizes, but they didn't feel right.  I have learned that if they don't feel right now, they won't feel any better later after I have spent the $100. 

So, as I weigh my options, I head back to Adidas.  I know that I want the Supernova Sequence.  I had a much earlier version - around 2008 and I liked them.

I walked in looked at my options and found the Sequence in bright orange. I was not jazzed about the color, but I get my size and try them on.  (Who really cares since they just get muddy and dirty anyway?  My major issue was that I really didn't want to call attention to my bad form and slow pace.

Do you like them?
Me: Yes. Can I try these on too?
Let me check on the size.  Oh sorry, we only have an 8.5 or a 10.  Want to try on the ten?  They are a better color.
Me: Um, no I need a 9.
Are you sure?
Me: Yes.

Luckily for me, another, more informed, sales person comes over and gives me another pair to try on.  She said it was similar to the ones that were on my feet, except, a little less cushioning and a little more on the neutral side. 

I decided to get the Sequence -  the bright orange shoes.  The girls said that they would be perfect for ILLINI games.

So, when looking for sneakers in HK, I pick size and style.  HK does it color, style then maybe size. 

2 comments:

  1. You're probably better off in the sneaker shops in Wanchai or Mongkok - a lot more variety, even if you have the same lack of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have tried both the Wan Chai and Mongkok experience and they don't have any sizes either. If you are a US size 9 or above, you have to get there as soon as they put the stock out, pay full price and just get the shoes --- no way around that!

    ReplyDelete