Friday, March 16, 2012

Week recap

Oh this week ....

It has been a roller coaster of stuff.  Making plans to come home, making travel plans for the month of May, packing, schooling and then dealing with people who really don't get it.  This combo makes for a very interesting week.

Booking our tickets home
We have gotten the "OK" from the US company to go ahead and buy our tickets home.  This is kind of funny, because we had to submit how much the flights were going to cost.  JC estimated it at about 5K.  But, what would the company do if it were 10K?  Who knows. 

Now, onto WHEN we come home.  So many things come into play here.  When is the last paycheck coming.  Will all the security deposits be in our account at the end of May?  Where are there the least amount of people on the plane ... you know ... important questions.

JC talked with the company and told him of our plans to travel the last month.  We originally thought that because his paycheck showed he had 28 days of PTO, we would get 28 days of PTO.  Incorrect.  What complete BS.    Why bother showing it if you don't get it.    We finally figured all of that stuff out and settled on a date.  These people also fall into "those who don't get it".

School
I'm over it, the girls are over it.  JC is tired about hearing about it.  So, we decided that for the end of the year, we are going to take our ITBS test (Iowa test of basic skills) and pretty much be done with school for the year.  We were going to test mid-April, but moved it up to yesterday, today and Sunday.  We will only be finishing math (about 15 lessons left) and language arts (which is done online).  Now, we should be able to pack up 90% of all of our books to be shipped back home. 

Packing
Hannah has finally started.  She, with Gabby's help, packed two boxes this week.  Most of it was stuffed animals and clothes.  We told the girls that for the next two months, we were going to be down to the minimum needs; 3 or 4 pair of shorts, 5 shirts, couple jeans.  That's it ... the rest is going back (or being given away).

I would love to get everything that is going by boat packed and ready to be shipped by Monday, April 1.  Then the air shipment can go out April 30 and we can be done!

People who don't get it
What can you say about it?  It doesn't matter where you are ... people will always think that they are more important and the rules don't apply to them. 

The look
Those of you who know me ... know that I wear my feelings for you on my face (right Dana?)  I really don't mean to, but it just comes out. 

Yesterday, the girls and I went to go and grab some lunch in Causeway Bay, got a foot massage then walked back to get on the mini bus.  There was one guy in front of us, then one running up the side of us.  We actually got there and stood in line before the second guy.  The first man got the last seat, but the second guy, thought that he should check to make sure there weren't any other seats, and that if there were, HE was going to take it.  Since that was a fail for him, he stood there next to me, really wanting to be first in line.  Looking at me ... with my pursed lips and and my hands folded across my arms, instead of taking a step forward to the bus ... he took a step back. 

Rugby
This week I had to let one of the coaches know that we were not coming back next year.  I think some of them knew, but this confirmed it.  I think that they were looking forward to Gabby being an important part of the team for next year.  This stinks, because she is really, pretty good at it. 





 

2 comments:

  1. My family moved back to the States when I was 11 years old. I brought my ITBS test to my school in the States and it showed me to be a grade higher than what was being taught at the school. The school guidance counselor put my test in a drawer and sent me on to the grade with my age group. After a few months I complained to my parents that I wasn't really learning anything. I then had to test again and it was again confirmed that I could be bumped up but my parents didn't want to separate me from my peers. In hindsight my parents and I agree that I should have bumped up. I kept testing above my age group for a couple more years, probably because I kept learning things beyond what was in class. Thankfully it wasn't too long before high school where you can have choices in classes.

    You may have similar problems when you go back home. On the bright side, youth rugby is on the rise in the States and there will be teams that would love to have your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that being a problem with the younger one. I'm not sure that she would be "mature" enough to be in a grade with her sister. Luckily, there are some advanced and way advanced (almost like having 4 levels in school these days.

    The older one will be right where she needs to be.

    BTW, I saw that the USA plays at 830 on Friday morning ... We'll be there!

    ReplyDelete