Thursday, April 26, 2012

Helpers

This is from the "geobaby" :

We like our helper a lot. We just renewed her contract in november so she has been wirh us about 2.5 yr. She is great with our kid and baby, kind, and hardworking. I am not a chatty or easy to warm up person, so I'd say we have a good "business" relationship. 
Today, she told my mom (who comes to our house a lot and is more like a " friend" to her) that she wanted to quit because she is tired and is always forgetful. She said she want to go back home to rest. She also said she hasn't told me yet but just wanted to tell my mom about it. My mom, of course, told me about it. My mom told her it's prob just stress cos we just had a new baby and we moved so lots of work.  This happened after her day off yesterday(she has Saturdays off), and I remember I made a couple comments to her the day before: on one occasion, I sternly reminded her to refill the diaper box next to the changing table if she is the one who used the last diaper there. I mentioned I've pointed that out before and pls remember in the future (otherwise it's a hassle/danger if you open up the baby then need to walk away to get diapers). On another occasion, she put on the kettle just before I need to use the stove to make dinner and I certainly looked annoyed. She offered to take away the kettle and I said " no, because then you might forget to bring it to boil later and leave the water in the kettle and tomorrow I'd think it's cooked water in the kettle and use it.". And I have in the past, and she admitted too , that she always forget things, like where she put sth, or some of my instructions. We now have a whiteboard on fridge where I write things down.  So, my thinking is, that she is basically upset at my comments and hence threatened to quit by saying it to my mom. She knows my mom will tell me. And she knows we need helper at home with a toddler, a small baby and a dog. I dont believe she actually can quit am go home cos her son just started college and her daughter will go to college soon so she need the money. (btw, she is in her 40s).  I really think we treat her well. I don't treat her as a friend but I don't raise my voice at her. Granted I sometimes look dissatisfied at sth though I might not say anything cos I don't think it's her fault ( but I can't hide my expression!) we pay her generous bonus twice a year, free trip home for family business twice.  Sorry for the long story. Do you think she is just threatening to quit as a tactic? Should I confront her about her conversation with my mom or just wait and see if she bring it up to me? I don't want to change helper unless we have to.

What are people thinking?  There are so many things that I would like to say to this woman:

  • Good God lady, they are diapers … grab some and put them on your table.  If this is your biggest complaint of the day, you are in the top .01% of the world!
  • The whole kettle thing … you can't have it both ways.  She either heats up the water or she doesn't.  
 As I read these "questions" from people, I just don't get it.  Some of these people should not be "business owners", which is what they are since the helper works for the family.   

No comments:

Post a Comment