Monday, January 30, 2012

Conversation with a Filipino Maid

I had to run to the post office yesterday. As I got into the elevator
a Filipino maid came in from the floor below. This is our exchange:

Me: How are you
Her: Oh, not so good
Me: Oh really? Sorry to hear that
Her: The family, they are so mean to me. I cry every night
Me: Sorry
Her: Chinese families are so hard to work for. White families are much
more kind. The Chinese women are mean
Me: I understand
Her: I miss my family
Me: Where are you from?
Her: The Philippines. I have kids there. Do you have kids?
Me: Yes, I do
Her: Where are they?
Me: They are here
Her: Who takes care of them?
Me: I do. (she is now looking at me with a different look - something
has clicked)
Her: Are you married to a white man?
Me: Yes
Her: Oh good, white man better. Do you need a maid?
Me: No, thanks. We are going back to the US in a couple of months
Her: For good?
Me: Yes. Sorry, there's the post office I have to run over there. Bye

It was a very weird conversation. At first she thought I was the maid
because I was out doing "errands" and then she finally figured out that
I was actually American. Funny thing, I am about 6 inches taller than
the average maid, and don't really look Filipino all that much. I do,
though, dress like them (t-shirt, shorts/jeans, and flip flops).

2 comments:

  1. I get weird looks also because I drag my own cart full of laundry to the laundromat. I'm glad to know that there is at least one other American woman in HV who chooses to conduct domestic chores without assistance.

    ReplyDelete