Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Girls - Bikini vs Tankini vs One piece

I have read two articles the past to days:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/04/19/granderson.children.dress/index.html
and another one in the WSJ about how our kids are dressing these days.

When the girls were younger, I thought nothing of putting their cute little pudgy body in a bikini. I especially thought that the one with the ruffles on the butt and the top were cute. But as the girls have gotten older, I have started to be a bit more protective.

Is it the pictures of so many young girls wearing so little? Is it living in a place that covers it's self up even at the beach?

I would never think to put my girls in this:

but I would never want them to wear this either at the age of 10 and 11


I asked a friend if I was being to tough, and she said yes. But now, these days, I just want to preserve as much of a childhood without having to deal with, "how do I look" and "do I have the right name brand clothes". It's not that I don't think that they have the body to pull it off, because they do, but what I really don't want is people staring at my kids. I don't want boys or old guys staring at them. It's just not appropriate.

I know that when they are 14-16 I will have to give in, and I hope, that at that point in their lives, they will know what is important and how they want to others to see them.

My goal is to give my girls the self confidence to wear a bikini when they feel it is appropriate to do so. I hope that they see it as a fun thing to wear to the beach to get a tan and have fun in, not something that just shows off your body to get a cute guy.

2 comments: