Monday, June 10, 2013

Wheat and sugar free

I have been struggling to lose some pounds since we got back from HK. When we got Piper, I read that the key to a happy dog is exercise. So, I started on my walking journey. They dog and I average around 3.5 miles a day - sometimes doing upwards of 5. I have felt my legs getting stronger, and also my endurance increase. But I didn't feel like I was fitting into my pants better. So, last Sunday, I decided to go cold turkey on sugar and wheat. I have done really well eating all natural foods and such. One of the side effects that I have seen from this is, some of the aches and pains that I was having every morning have disappeared. I was having a lot of issues with my achilles and my IT band. As of today - I am really 4 days pain free from it. I don't know if I am completely intolerant to gluten or wheat, but maybe there is something to this.

1 comment:

  1. I really resisted the idea that I might be wheat intolerant, but am gradually coming around to it. I tested negative for a gluten allergy (thank goodness) but showed a small reaction to wheat. I am glad that your experiments are helping you feel better! : )

    Beware gluten-free substitutes, though, as they seem to be fat or calorie-laden - pizza crust especially! If you need bread and can't substitute lettuce as a wrapper, Udi's seems to be the best tasting. "Cooks Illustrated" says this is because they use a lot of protein in their recipe (egg whites) which creates a gluten-like structure and texture.

    ReplyDelete